Universalis, About this blog

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

The Paraclete

Great short from Dr. Marcellino D'Ambrosio on the Paraclete, the Holy Spirit who is the less visible in the Trinity, but no less the powerful for that. I recently taught my kids this song which is always something to see and hear, coming from a 5-year-old and a 3-year-old: Come, Holy Spirit, I need you. Come, Holy Spirit, I pray. Come with your guiding power. Come in your most special way. My kids sing it with gusto, although at this stage they still fight over who gets to sing it solo. ;-) I find that it's more heartfelt for me to pray this before spiritual reading, e.g., the Bible. St. Benedict supposedly developed the powerful practice of feeling God's holy presence right wherever we are and whatever we are about. I can't think of a better way to get into that than invoking the Holy Spirit who can plumb the depths of our being, as He does the depths of the being of God.

No comments: