Universalis, About this blog

Friday, May 05, 2006

I've finished reading the Da Vinci Code

Yep, just last night. I'm not ready to write it off as a waste of time. A few surprising insights came up and I'm still turning them over in my head. This much I can say: I got this impression of Mr. Brown getting a kick out of his pranks in the book, picking some controversial topics (at least in his mind, or in that of his target audience) and making up solutions for them. He's quite clever, in that sense, but I also get the feeling that he is simply amoral about it. He doesn't know what he's doing he doesn't know what he's talking about, and he doesn't really care. He just wants to have some fun and make heaps of money. Unforunately, the world is perfectly alright with that, because Truth is no longer held reverently. The world has become cynical and Truth is now thought to be irrelevant.

2 comments:

lilly said...

I read Dan Brown's ANGEL'S &DEMONS.I found it an immensely interesting book.My batchmates recommended me to read DA VINCI CODE..I heard its blasphemy..anyways gonna get a copy.

Jeff Tan said...

I haven't read Angels and Demons. Go ahead and read DVC, but I wouldn't spend money on it: I borrowed one from the library. Blasphemy? Well it does insult the Faith, not to mention intelligence. :-P

Just remember to validate his claims against historical data, most of which are online anyway. If you have questions, please feel free to ask me.