Universalis, About this blog

Saturday, September 10, 2005

You Take It With You

"The love inside, you take it with you." Yes, it is cheesy to borrow a line from "Ghost" (movie with Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore), but it did get me thinking: if I were to die today, what will I take with me? A Calvinist recently explained holiness to me in terms of positional and personal holiness. Positional holiness is given to the born-again (converted) believer by the merits of Christ. He is positionally holy through the holiness of Christ. Personal holiness is optional to salvation, accordingly. (Note to self: redouble efforts to rid myself of selfishness, pride, pettiness, tendency to slack off when I should be doing something productive. I don't want to bring THOSE with me.) Make no mistake: good works will not earn salvation for us, for the latter is by grace alone, a free gift. However, while good works do not earn salvation, seriously sinful works will cause forfeiture of salvation.

No comments: