Universalis, About this blog

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Verses to make Catholics tremble

Imagine the shock running through my Catholic bones when I found this verse (Romans 3:23-25) in my shortened breviary, which was given to me by Sister Roma a few years ago:

  Since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, they have been justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus, whom God has set up as an expiation for sins in his blood, which is received by faith.
Okay, it was no shock. It just made me wonder again what my Evangelical Protestant friends would think about the Liturgy of the Hours. How perplexing it must be when they find that the verses that supposedly nail Catholicism as a fraud were, rather than swept under the rug, included in her liturgy from ancient times until the present. This musing only makes sense, of course, if one is familiar with the Chickean proposition that Catholics are not allowed to read Scriptures as a rule.

No comments: