Universalis, About this blog

Sunday, March 27, 2011

All quiet in this blog

No, it's not a lenten fast. I am tempted to say that "life is getting in the way" but that would imply that this blog is not part of my life. I'd like to think that it is, infrequent as the posts are, because evangelization is part of my mission. And yet, as I tell my kids often, spending too much time speaking could mean not spending enough time listening. (Being a lecturer, and lecturing them often, that's really ironic coming from me.) I'd like to think that I am spending more time listening, but I know that I have not done enough, though I think have improved some -- at least in terms of observing my family a bit more closely. The kids are growing up so fast!

But it is Lent, so I do ought to put more time into reading. We started using "The Imitation of Christ" (Thomas a Kempis) at night, and most of it probably whizzes past my boys, but these are seeds, and I can certainly use them for myself, too. As a parent, one thing I can say is that you can't neglect your own welfare. Whether or not you adopt a healthy lifestyle (body, mind and soul), your children will take up a lot of that. And that's why Lent should not go by unnoticed in this household. If I don't keep it well, how will they learn to do so?

No comments: