Universalis, About this blog

Friday, April 06, 2007

On this Holy Thursday, a prayer for humility...

This commentary comes from DailyGospel.org for Holy Thursday.

Saint Therese of Lisieux (1873-1897), Carmelite nun, doctor of the Church
Prayer to obtain humility

“This is my body that is for you” (1Cor 11,24)

   O Jesus, when you were a traveler in this world you said: “Learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for yourselves” (Mt 11,29). O Almighty King of Heavens, yes, my soul finds rest when it sees you “taking the form of a slave” (Phil 2,7), humbling yourself to the point of washing the feet of your apostles. Then I remember the words you pronounced to teach me to practice humility: “I have given you a model to follow, so that as I have done for you, you should also do...No slave is greater than his Master...If you understand this, blessed are you if you do it” (Jn 13,15-17). I understand, o Lord, these words coming out from your meek and humble heart; I want to put them into practice with the help of your grace...

   Nobody, o my Beloved, had rights over you, nevertheless you obeyed not only to the Virgin Mary and to Saint Joseph, but also to your hangmen. Now it is in the host that I see your annihilation reach its peak. What humility, o King of Glory, to submit yourself, without distinction, to all priests, to those who love you and to those who instead unfortunately are lukewarm or cold in their service of you. In answer to their call you come down from heaven...O my Beloved, under the veil of the white host you appear to me so meek and humble of heart! To teach me humility you couldn't humble yourself more...

   But, o Lord, you know my weakness; every morning I make a resolution to practice humility and in the evening I recognize that I still committed many sins of pride. And I am tempted to become discouraged, but I know that discouragement too is a form of pride. Therefore, I want to put my hopes in you alone, my God; since you are the Almighty, allow this virtue to grow in my soul. To obtain this grace of your endless mercy, I often repeat this prayer to you: “O Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart similar to yours!”.

No comments: