Universalis, About this blog

Friday, February 11, 2005

Ash Wednesday

On my way to work the other day, after receiving the ash on my forehead, I was struck by an old dilemma. The Lord said in Matt 6:5-6 that our prayer should be private, not ostentatious. So isn't parading around with those ashes in my forehead ostentatious, so as to attract the admiration of folks around me? Then I realized that it's ashes I have on my forehead, not a sign that says "I'm saved, Alleluia!" I'm not advertising virtue, blessedness and prestige here. I'm strutting around with a sign that says I'm a sinner! Besides, another thought that struck me is that, in this day and age, most folks who see those ashes will not admire me. They'd be more likely to snicker secretly, or think "*bleep*ing Catholic", or some similar thought that does not constitute admiration. Oh well.. comes with the territory. It's not a bug. It's a feature! Alleluia!

No comments: