Universalis, About this blog

Wednesday, December 09, 2015

What god is like our God?

Q: What is the measure of God's power?
A: Love

Isaiah 40:25-31
‘To whom could you liken me and who could be my equal?’ says the Holy One. Lift your eyes and look. Who made these stars if not he who drills them like an army, calling each one by name? So mighty is his power, so great his strength, that not one fails to answer. How can you say, Jacob, how can you insist, Israel, ‘My destiny is hidden from the Lord, my rights are ignored by my God’? Did you not know? Had you not heard? The Lord is an everlasting God, he created the boundaries of the earth. He does not grow tired or weary, his understanding is beyond fathoming. He gives strength to the wearied, he strengthens the powerless. Young men may grow tired and weary, youths may stumble, but those who hope in the Lord renew their strength, they put out wings like eagles. They run and do not grow weary, walk and never tire.

Matthew 11:28-30
Jesus exclaimed, ‘Come to me, all you who labour and are overburdened, and I will give you rest. Shoulder my yoke and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. Yes, my yoke is easy and my burden light.’

I may be frequently troubled by daily burdens, but worse are the burdens that aren't even mine, which I nevertheless take on and worry about: politics in places far away, the mysteries of next year or further off, the far-fetched what-ifs. Most of that, I may relinquish, there being trouble enough with today and what is proximate. Only one thing seems to be paramount: Charity.

No comments: