Universalis, About this blog

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Finding the child at the Temple

I am learning something that is both simple and profound about faith, which is that, indeed, to children belong the kingdom of heaven. It came to me, as I prayed the fifth joyful mystery of the holy rosary, that one must relax and take small steps, and be uncomplicated as a child. The child in that episode is Jesus, about his Father's business, but doing what? At the Temple, he was (Lk 2:46) "sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions." That was the time for a child to listen and ask questions.

I, too, must be about my Father's business but how? I won't be writing the next Apologia, nor start being a catechist without training, much less a deacon. I need teachers; I need to listen and ask questions. I need to clean up my act as husband and father first. And I think I should see my spiritual director again. It's been a few months.

"Keep Thou my feet; I do not ask to see the distant scene; one step enough for me. I was not ever thus, nor pray'd that Thou shouldst lead me on; I loved to choose and see my path, but now lead Thou me on!" (From a hymn by Blessed John Henry Newman.)

No comments: