Universalis, About this blog

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Why do you eat and drink with .. sinners

I don't know what I would have done in the 16th century, had I been witness to the corruption of Catholics then, including clergy. Perhaps I would have been one of the corrupt ones. I don't know what I would have done had I been anywhere near the clergy sex abuse cases. But if asked now, "how can you believe in the Catholic Church?" I might point this out:"

 "Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?" Jesus said to them in reply, "Those who are healthy do not need a physician, but the sick do. I have not come to call the righteous to repentance but sinners." [Luke 5:27-32, today's Gospel reading]

The Lord does not give up his covenants, and the Church is more than a collective: she is a family, bound by the Holy Spirit in a unity beyond that of a natural family. She is the Bride, and the Bridegroom has married her in holy covenant, consummated his sacrifice for her, and will never abandon her for new brides.

No comments: