Universalis, About this blog

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

"Why Isn't Homosexuality Considered A Disorder On The Basis Of Its Medical Consequences?"

Read this sobering article written by Kathleen Melonakos, M.A., R.N.Delaware Family Foundation. She writes based on her research and her own experiences as a nurse. File this under "when lobbying prevails over science" or "when true compassion is exchanged for appearances thereof." Why the latter? Because when you let your sons to go ahead with what they think makes them happy, even if it kills them and makes them miserable in the end, you're not being compassionate; you're just letting yourself off the hook. This is especially horrible when you consider that there are many with same sex attraction who have been helped or managed to get into better lives -- yes, often through a stronger spiritual life. Just check out John Heard and David Morrison.

Update: I've had to rethink what I wrote above. I oversimplify when I say that people let themselves off the hook by letting any man they love go down that path. I reconsidered this and I think it is far more common that people believe what the modern culture tells them, that embracing the gay lifestyle is as benign as any lifestyle choice, e.g., being married to the complementary sex, or living in single blessedness. What really should happen is for facts that burst this delusional bubble to be circulated and discussed more widely. My apologies if I had offended anyone in that short tirade. This will teach me to think hard before pronouncing judgments. Mea culpa. I will stop, I think, at facts. Let the article cited above, and the testimonies of people like John and David, stand on the merits of the facts and their experiences.

No comments: