Universalis, About this blog

Saturday, December 02, 2006

A proposal for unity?

His Holiness, Patriarch Bartholomew I of Constantinople, speaks of a proposal he has put forward, which he hopes will be accepted by Rome for a further step towards unity:

 

Bartholomew I: In this respect, I can say that I spoke with His Holiness of something -- something that we could do. I presented him with a proposal which I cannot now elaborate on, as we await an official response, but I can say that His Holiness was very interested and that he received it favorably.

We hope it can be undertaken as it is directed to that ecumenical progress that, as we have affirmed and written in the common declaration, both of us are determined to pursue.

Q: Why are you so determined?

Bartholomew I: Unity is a precious responsibility, but at the same time a difficult one which must be assumed if it is not shared between brothers. The history of the last millennium is a painful "memory" of this reality.

Veni Sancte Spiritus! May the Holy Spirit bring that unity to fruition in my lifetime, or my children's.

No comments: